Monday, December 13, 2010

Blessing my Hubby

Yesterday, I spent about $30 in over-priced food. $20 for a 5lb bag of frozen raspberries, and $9 for 24oz of fresh raspberries. I’m a budgeter and tightwad. I don’t waste money frivolously when I go shopping. I don’t buy something unless it’s an absolute need. And personally, raspberries are totally not worth what they cost, even if they do taste good.

So, why did I spend that much on raspberries? ‘Cause I have a husband who adores them. In his book, they’re the most amazing fruit ever. And you know what? While I’d never spend $5-6 a pound on fruit for the sake of the fruit itself, that’s definitely a good deal for making my husband grin. I buy raspberries on occasion because it makes Ben feel special and gives him a treat he particularly loves.

It’s good to contemplate ways you can particularly bless your husband- whether it’s buying a particular food for him, making a special treat (in this case, a combination of the two), doing a chore he hates being left with, or something else.

Now I’m off to make a fresh raspberry pie….. By the way, fresh berry pies are the most amazing thing ever. Especially topped with homemade whipped cream. And especially for breakfast. Oh, you’re jealous? Well, then, I’ll share the recipe….

Fresh Berry Pie

1 9-10” pie crust, baked

several cups (4-6) fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries- peaches work well, too, or any combination of the berries/peaches), sliced if neccessary

1 ¼ cups mashed berries (the same or different from the berries in pie- and you can use frozen for this part)

½ cup cold water

¼- ½ cup honey or cane juice crystals

3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch

Pour sliced berries into pie crust till heaped up; set aside. Mix arrowroot powder with water till free of lumps, pour into medium pot. Add honey and berries, bring to gentle boil over medium heat. Cook and stir till thickened, about one minute. Pour over pie, gently mix in to berries. Refrigerate; serve cold.

Whipped Cream

1 cup whipping cream

2 TBL cane juice crystals

½ tsp vanilla

Pour all ingredients into a bowl. Using electric beaters, whip till whipped up, but not too stiff. If you have a Bosch with the beater attachment, it makes this totally easy. Eat fresh, or store in refrigerator.

*We use about a double batch or so of this per pie.*

1 comment:

  1. OOh, yum yum! Yup, Ben is blessed with an awesome wife!

    ReplyDelete